COVID-19 Pennsylvania Update
According to the CDC, as of January 24, 2022, 75.3% of Pennsylvanians aged 18 and older were fully vaccinated. This percentage reflects all 67 counties in Pennsylvania.
In the 66-county DoH vaccine jurisdiction (Philadelphia is a separate vaccine jurisdiction), 382,064 vaccine doses were administered in the last week, including 272,327 booster doses and 22,076 pediatric doses
That number is a 38.5% increase in vaccines administered from the previous week.
A statewide summary of COVID-19 trends for the seven days from January 18-January 24 showed:
- The daily average number of new cases was 15.294, a slight decrease from the prior week.
- The number of people currently hospitalized with COVID-19 on Monday, Jan. 3 was 12.8 percent lower than the week before. The percent of available adult and pediatric ICU beds in the state rose to 16.1% and 14.2%, respectively, above figures from earlier in the month.
- Approximately 27.8% of all staffed adult ICU beds were COVID-19 patients.
- There were 941 deaths attributed to COVID-19 identified in the PA death registry the last seven days. Total PA deaths from COVID-19 were 39,560.
- Cases have been confirmed at 1,712 personal care and nursing facilities, with 79,587 patients and 70,044 employees testing positive. A total of 15,823 residents of these facilities have died of COVID-19, almost 40% of the state total COVID-19 fatalities.
Pennsylvania hospitals were caring for 6,062 patients with COVID-19 on Monday, with 939 COVID-19 patients in ICU and 586 COVID-19 patients on ventilators. The numbers are lower than earlier in the month, but still significantly higher than in early November. Pennsylvania’s all-time pandemic high was 1,264 on Dec. 15, 2020. The pandemic peak of patients on ventilators, 769, came on Dec. 26, 2020.
For the week, Pennsylvania’s rate of positive COVID-19 tests was again more than 25%, Pennsylvania in the seven day period registered averaged 14,803 new cases per day, again a significant reduction from the 22,084 per day the previous seven day period.
The Department of Health provides updated data on both the COVID-19 dashboard and the vaccine dashboard. The department also provides a dashboard showing COVID-19 data for skilled nursing homes including case counts, deaths and vaccination status for residents and staff. For more information on the Department of Health’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, visit here.